Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Thoughts on "Agents of SHIELD", or "While the fanboys squee, I'm genuinely impressed."



I make it slightly known that I don't have the greatest love for comics, save for my youth-derived passion for Batman. I generally enjoy the movie adaptations more than I do the source material, but lately, I'm kind of done with both.

I liked Iron Man 3 just fine, in fact, I think I liked it a bit better than Avengers. But, the movies are starting to do what the comics do... They never freaking end. And I hate that. I like closure, even when it's dark. Iron Man 3 felt like a logical closure point, but I feel like it might not happen, and that saddens me. I think you should do like Nolan did with Batman; end it. It's more satisfying. Or, if you to, do the James Bond route and just accept that things change and get new actors. Challenge audiences to be okay with new actors in the same roles. But challenge yourself (referring to the creative minds behind the comic movies out there) to not always rehash the same nonsense. But whatever. I'm not particularly enthused with comic movies right now.

When I heard they were doing a SHIELD series, I don't know what my first thought was, other than I figured, since Whedon would be seeing to the initial tone of the series, that it would be in good hands. And I'm not a Whedon fanboy. But the man can write. I think my second thought was that I really didn't care. It was a sort meh moment where I thought there wasn't much room for interesting story in a universe filled with mighty super heroes.

Plus, there was mention of Coulson coming back, which struck me as odd. Since, you know, he died. Don't get me wrong. I don't think you can do a SHIELD series without him. He was, by far, my favorite thing about the Marvel movies. I'm not kidding. Clark Gregg has a stoic charm about him that is so damn appealing. And obviously I am among many who feel the same way. People freaking LOVE him. And they should. He's great. But I hate backtracking. I hate undoing an event that had such a profound emotional impact on a film.

But then, I wondered if I was wrong about this one case. He is a beloved character and he is too cool to keep dead.

Still, I found myself ultimately torn on the whole series.

And then I watched the trailer. I realized this wasn't purely comic book area. This was something more. And something more interesting than I was expecting. Color me excited. And impressed.

I don't know why I didn't just assume "Joss Whedon + series + colorful characters + Clark Gregg = Obvious Decision." Maybe because I'm short-sighted. In fact, I bet all of you comic experts and Whedon fans are rolling your eyes at me right this minute, thinking of how stupid I am for not realizing this would be good.

Well, I was wrong. I'm not a television series guy, but this interesting view of things from the perspective of people who are specifically NOT the superheroes is something I can get behind. Seeing the world through their eyes is a perspective we don't often get and it's the perfect place for a television show.



I wonder if it's too early to start predicting who gets the "Whedon treatment" (as in, killed unexpectedly.)

Let me know what you think below!

Brit W.

No comments:

Post a Comment