Thursday, January 17, 2013

Comic Book Movies of the Future!, or "Why are they still running the same sh*t?"

I, for one, and tired of comic book movies. In the worst way. And hey, I loved the Dark Knight trilogy, and I liked Avengers, but I'm bored of the same ol' thing coming out every year.

Amazing Spider-man nearly killed. Iron Man 3 does not interest me in the least. Thor 2? Eh. Guardians of the Galaxy? Nope. Batman Reboot? Can we just leave well enough alone?

I know that people will rush out and say that there is some obligation to stock holders and investors to make the movies that are the most commercial. Fine, I guess.

But can we try something different? Now, I'm all for there being little or no more comic adaptations. It's already a visual medium, and if the filmmakers don't have an interesting or unique take on the material (Chris Nolan) what the hell is the point? Just read the freaking comic if you want the story.

But as there is seemingly no end in sight, and we are apparently nowhere near the comic movie equivalent to carrying capacity, I guess I'll just grin and bear it. And make suggestions as to ideas that could be done, on a lower budget, with many more creative elements that haven't really been done in comic movies before.

Hellsing:


I'm not the biggest anime or manga fan, but this is a pretty cool franchise with lots of richness in the universe. And unlike a certain Hugh Jackman vehicle (that actually apparently wasn't about the literary character Abraham Van Helsing at all) we don't see the complete and utter ruin of a really cool character concept. I rather liked the Bram Stoker novel, and I liked the character of Abraham Van Helsing, and his legacy and lineage are done really well in this series.

As well, you have an interesting dynamic between Seras and Alucard that makes for an interesting watch. In fact, after the crappy representation of vampires that Twilight threw our way, Hellsing would be a refreshing change of pace, and a nice step back into real vampires.


Spawn:

Okay, so a Spawn film has been made before. And it was stupid. Utterly unlike the character. And I'm not a Spawn fan. In an effort to apparently market the film to a younger audience, they made the movie a very boring, generic super hero film, and explored none of the deeper issues and concepts of the source material. (This is a problem with the moral authority of the MPAA and studios desperate to satisfy these morality fascists. See also; Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat Annihilation.)

While I normally don't like reboots, I think this one is deserved and would give us a chance to see an edgier and accurately done Spawn. Imagine getting someone like Nicolas Winding Refn to direct... Drool.


Lost at Sea

From the guy who did Scott Pilgrim, this would be an interesting graphic novel to adapt. Instead of super heroes and the like, you'd have a road trip movie of sorts, that has a lot of visual opportunities that would have to excite any director, especially those of the art house crowd.

It's an odd one,  but it could be shot on a dime, and would be a heck of a nice existential piece that I for one would be in line to see. Hell, I would LOVE to direct this, with my buddy Nick writing the adaptation of the novel.

Well, I can dream.






And those are just a few suggestions. I know there have been talks about a Spawn reboot for some time, and I don't know about the other two, but it would be nice to see someone in Hollywood thinking outside of the box when it came to comic movies, instead of treading on familiar and tired ground.

Brit Ward
@britward

6 comments:

  1. First off, you should aknowledge the distinction between comic book and superhero movies. One is a medium, the other a genre. Its foolish to lump together Iron Man and Ghost World and Road to Perdition - all comics, not even remotely simmilar otherwise. Saying they should make Lost at Sea instead of Batman (as an example) is (aside from the obvious economic issues) is like saying they should stop making action films in liue of Amelie. Different audiences, completely different ballparks, so to speak. Now, back to superhero's, there is something to be said for going for new characters, but there are only so many that will appeal to general audiences. Spawn isn't even popular as a comic anymore, and is regarded by many as the poster-child for the overdone "grrr, Im bleak and grity" 90's comic style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair enough, but I am specifically talking about the medium of comics, and not distinguishing between genres. I mention that it is a visual medium and if you're not bringing something new to the table with the characters in the book, what's the point?

    The discussion here can be extended to the fact that Hollywood mines from broad ranges of source material; they are only concerned with genre in so much as it affects demographics. But whether it's Persepolis, Ghost World, or Vampirella, it's a potential mining ground.

    As for Spawn... I seem to recall Batman being in a similar position when a director named Tim Burton came along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the Batman comparison is even remotely apt. The character was still massively popular with the core comic-book audience (which was far larger in the day) and while they may have been more familliar with a different version of the character - freaking EVERYONE knew the old Adam West show. Even at it's peak, 15 years ago, Spawn never had that level of pop culture awareness.

      Also - other than it being in the Marvel universe, isn't Guardians of the Galaxy pretty much along the lines of what you're asking for? I can't think of any other films about a band of differnet aliens races teaming up with a space raccoon to fight a god...

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frak me... wrote a long post, deleted it to make a change.... lost the whole damned thing. Moron...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If not for James Gunn, I wouldn't have even mentioned it. It is a better film in terms of being 'different' and that appeals to me.

    As for Spawn, I was never a fan, and I'm still not. But there is grounds for an interesting film to be made. Your reference to "grr I'm bleak and gritty" made me laugh because that's exactly what I thought about it when it was at its height. But I've always felt it was a story idea that, taken out of the hands of its creator (and apparently Mark A.Z. Dippe's) had some real potential.

    I probably should have put a disclaimer at the beginning that said, "I hate comic books." Since, with the except of Batman when I was growing up, I didn't care for comics at all.

    But, good discussion.

    ReplyDelete