Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Artistic Business, or "The Dreams of a Crazy Child"

Ever since I was a child, I've had two dreams that made me different from most people; not in the nature of the separate ideas, but in the way I always mentally combined them. These two dreams are, of course, wanting to make movies, and to run the business side of doing so. Plenty of children have dreams of telling stories in some capacity, be it through novels, songs, or film, and plenty of others had dreams of someday operating their own business. Few combine the two, especially as children.

Oh, I'm sure I'm not completely unique in that regard, as there are obviously bound to be others with the same aspirations as me, but not many that I've met. And now, for the first time ever in my life, I feel like I'm about to realize both of these dreams.

It's partly by accident (or fate) that I was allowed to meet the wonderful and talented people that compose this little group of ours, and also the many others we work with regularly. Over the course of the next few blogs, we'll be getting introductions from hopefully each of them, just to get a bit of background on them, and to also see the kind of work they do outside of our little Void.

We'll also be showing some hints at the projects we'll be doing. By virtue of no real process, just the natural flow of the work we've been putting into the initial planning, we've more or less compartmentalized ourselves into a couple of sections; the film work, where I will be doing the bulk of the producing, both some of my work, but also the work of others, and the other where we will be doing sketch comedy, which will see Zach as the head writer of that bunch (you'll, again, get to meet him soon, but here's something to whet your appetite http://www.xaqindustries.com/)

So, be prepared for some great things coming down the pipelines, initially in the form of dramatic short films and comedic sketches, as well as our very own web series (which is turning out to be pretty awesome already, if I do say so myself), and hopefully feature length work in the future.

Ever since I was young, I've loved movies. That, unlike the businessman filmmaker aspiration I held as a child, is not unique at all, and that's the most exciting element of what we're doing here; people want to see movies. They want to cry, they want to laugh, they want to feel fear, they want to cheer for heroic people, and they want to see the failures of the villains. And we have so many stories to tell, so many bridges to new worlds we want all of you to cross and enjoy with us.

So, we'll see you on the other side.

Brit W.

No comments:

Post a Comment